If you’re looking to set up a DIY home security system, a great thing to start with is a wireless camera system. The best wireless indoor security cameras will work for your home and budget. There are a lot of options out there to choose from, with a lot of unique features between brands and models.
So why a wireless indoor security camera system? Which ones should you pick? What features can you expect?
Wireless indoor security cameras will transmit video to your monitoring system through Wi-Fi. Most of these security camera systems connect easily to their manufacturer’s mobile app. Most of these cameras allow you to set the recording period and can do 24/7 monitoring. It’s fairly common for these indoor wireless security cameras to have two-way audio, making them useful for a baby monitor or keeping an eye on your pet when you’re away. Normally, the night vision on indoor security cameras does an excellent job working in any room, as long as the camera is of decent quality.
One thing to keep in mind about wireless security cameras is that they do need to be plugged into an electrical outlet in order to work. Most have decently long power cords. There’s a lot of variation among the mounts between cameras, so plan out where you want to place the cameras before you buy them. Be mindful of the possibility of the camera getting knocked onto the floor, possibly damaging it. A lot of these cameras have a very distinctive look that won’t go well with a lot of
Here is a selection of the best wireless security cameras for home safety.
This is one portion of Nest’s smart home products. It records in clear 1080p and has two-way audio. It also has enough night vision range to allow you to see most normal sized rooms. The Nest Cam connects to the Nest app available for both iOS and Android. You can also view the footage by logging into your account on Nest’s website. Multiple people can view the same camera through a family account, where you can personalize alerts. The power cord is 10 feet long, which should be long enough for most places you can put the camera.
- You can control this camera with Alexa. It’s a nice feature if you already use Alexa.
- The magnetic base can be rotated to mount on a wall or sit on a flat surface, allowing for a lot of placement options.
- Set up is pretty quick and simple. Nest has great customer service that will help you if you run into issues.
- This security camera system integrates very well with the Nest Protect fire alarm, Nest Smart Thermostat, and any home appliances marked “works with Nest”. If you’re looking for a smart home system, this one works very well.
- The Nest app has a great user interface with a lot of options for the account.
- You’ll need to subscribe to Nest Aware to be able to use all the features of the camera. Nest Aware has a variety of payment plans, but none of them are particularly cheap.
- This is an expensive indoor security camera system for the number of cameras you get.
The Nest Cam is a great option for anyone looking to start creating a DIY home security system that’s integrated with a smart home. It’s fairly pricey and the price only goes up if you want all the features because you have to subscribe to Nest Aware. The app is very nice, however, and how much you need all the features for an indoor security camera system is up to you.
This wireless security system comes with 5 cameras. It integrates with the Blink Now apps and Alexa. Every camera is powered by 2 included AA batteries and has a 2-year battery life. It records in HD video and also records audio. These cameras have low light and night vision. They are weatherproof, so they will work for both indoor and outdoor use. Their motion sensor will send you an alert and record a short clip when motion is detected depending on your settings.
- These cameras are very small and can be placed in all sorts of places without being too obvious.
- The battery life is amazing. You don’t have to worry about a camera’s proximity to an electrical outlet, just their Wi-Fi range (about 50 feet).
- It’s a good price for so many quality cameras.
- Installation is very easy. Just make sure the receiver is located well.
- You don’t need any kind of subscription to get all the features of these wireless security cameras.
- The mounts are pretty weak. Be very careful when installing them.
- The blocky design is not the most aesthetically pleasing, though the small size makes the cameras fairly innocuous.
- The app can be touch buggy and needs some updates to modernize it.
You get a lot of bang for your buck with this wireless security camera system. Not having a subscription service to get all the features or any cords for power is a nice feature. Just be patient with the app. The blocky design may be a turn off for some people.
These are another set of cameras that are powered entirely by batteries. It comes with rechargeable batteries that have a life of several weeks. You recharge the batteries via a USB cable that plugs into the camera. The cameras have two way audio and record in HD video. The system links to the Arlo app. You can sound an alarm remotely on the base station through the app, or set it that it sounds when motion or sound is detected. You can store video on a USB drive via the USB port on the base station. Arlo provides free cloud storage of video clips for 7 days for up to 5 cameras. On the last day, the oldest footage is erased to make room. There is a subscription service if you want more cloud storage.
- These wireless home security cameras have a very easy install price. They work right out of the box.
- The complete lack of cords is always a bonus since you don’t have to worry about how close electrical outlets are.
- The magnetic wall mounts work well and are easy to install. You can also purchase other mounts from Arlo if you want a different kind of mount.
- It’s great to have cloud recording available without having to pay for it. The additional storage is fairly cheap, as well, running $100 to $150 a year depending on how much more storage you want.
- The night vision is not the best out there. A lot of the aftermarket covers you can find interfere with it slightly, too.
- There is a slight delay between the motion detection and the camera’s recording.
These completely wireless cameras are a great choice if you’re looking for more freedom of camera placement. The subpar night vision, however, might be an issue for some and it can be annoying to have to recharge the batteries since you have to hook up a USB cord to the camera to recharge it. It’s not so easy as a swap of batteries.
Looking like something out of science fiction movie, this wireless security camera has two-way audio and motion detection. You can insert a micro SD card into the camera to record footage. The camera is powered using a micro USB plug, so it can be powered by anything with a USB outlet. You can access the camera’s footage via an app. you can pan the camera around 350 degrees and tilt it 100 degrees. It has very clear night vision.
- This camera can run off a power bank, turning it into a jury-rigged entirely wireless security camera.
- The effective night vision and two-way audio make this a great baby monitor.
- The setup is quick and easy. As soon as the camera is charged, just link it to your wireless network and set it up.
- The size of this camera means you can effectively monitor any area as long as it’s within range of Wi-Fi.
- The audio can develop issues and only record as a constant faint hissing.
- You cannot call the customer service number from some areas.
- This is only one camera, though you can easily purchase more for the fairly low price. You’ll have to rig it into a DIY security system entirely by yourself, however, which may not be something you want to do or even remotely enjoy doing.
If you’re looking for a single great wireless security camera, this is the one for you. It’s fairly affordable and works very well. Just watch out for any audio issues.
This camera records at 720p and has two-way audio. You can rotate the camera 180 degrees to get the vertical angle you want and it has 111 degree wide viewing angle. It has a night vision range of 10 feet. This wireless security camera system connects to the Yi Home mobile app and will send alerts when it detects motion. The cameras are powered by USB cables and USB wall power adaptors, so you can power them but connecting them to your computer if you want. You can store footage by inserting micro SD cards into the cameras.
- The app is very easy to use and makes setup a snap.
- The picture quality is great for such an inexpensive set of indoor security cameras. It’s comparable to the Nest Cam, which is almost four times as expensive for one less camera.
- The cameras can go bad over time and simply stop working. On occasion, you’ll get a camera that will refuse to connect right out of the box.
- The style of these wireless indoor security cameras may not be for everyone since it stands out in anything but the most modern décor. They vaguely resemble HAL9000 from Space Odyssey 2001.
- The micro USB cords don’t take abuse well and can come unplugged from the cameras that they’re meant to be permanently attached to.
- If you want cloud recording, you’ll need to pay a subscription fee for it. That cloud can also have issues with playback and access is occasionally irregular.
This wireless camera system is a decent budget option. You get what you pay for, so they aren’t the sturdiest option on the market. You’ll need to get a cloud subscription if you want to constantly monitor your home, so figure out how important that is if you’re looking into buying these cameras.
The best wireless security system for home safety will depend a lot on your needs. You may want to keep an eye on your nursery, play area, or foyer, which all have different requirements and limits. Motion detection alerts may not be the best choice for a playroom full of kids on a regular basis, for instance, but you may want to set nighttime motion detection up for an indoor wireless security camera near your door.
Use an indoor wireless security camera system as the basis for your DIY home security system. You can get a reasonably decent one for good price. Learning how to monitor a much more controlled environment is a great way to learn how to monitor a less controlled outdoor environment. Give it a try and see how you can take control of your home’s security.