A hidden wireless security camera has a lot of advantages over ordinary wireless security cameras. Because they are less obvious, home invaders will likely not be able to spot them and won’t steal or disable them. They can also be more easily blended into your home than normal wireless security cameras. A lot of these hidden security cameras have been made to look like something else you would ordinarily find in a house. Some kinds can even be used as home accents unto themselves. A hidden security camera with two-way audio might be a good choice for a baby monitor that is less obtrusive than normal.
Hidden security cameras do not come as a part of a wireless security camera system and, unless you purchased a system that allowed for easy integration of non-brand devices, you usually can’t integrate them into an existing DIY home security system. Hidden security cameras are rarely designed for outdoor use, so they are best used indoors. Since these are generally standalone cameras without a system they link to, they usually have a fairly limited amount of storage. While there is a wide variety of camera designs available, there are limitations to them because they do need to have a decent range of vision as well as some other tech to work very well.
Here are some of the best wireless hidden security cameras you can find today. Take a look and see if using one of them is the perfect fit for your DIY home security system.
The Conbrov hidden camera looks like and can be used as a regular photo frame. The camera is hidden in the frame’s decoration and you won’t notice it unless you’re looking extremely closely. Video is recorded at 720p. This security camera has motion detection that it uses to trigger detection. It also has night vision out to 15 feet. With two years of battery life (if it’s doing motion detection recording), you can freely place it on walls without having to worry about a cord. It requires a micro SD card, which you will have to purchase separately. To recharge the camera, use the included USB cord.
- It’s hard to imagine a more hidden camera. Because it has a battery, you can place it on a wall with a family photo near your entryway and no one will be the wiser. It looks nice, too.
- Even with all the extra tech in this photo frame, it is just as easy to mount as a regular photo frame.
- The memory card automatically rewrites the oldest files once it fills up, so you don’t need to worry about it filling up.
- It only records video clips on the micro SD card. This is a decent option for a lot of people, but if you want a real-time video you can access on your phone while you’re away, this is not the camera for you. The SD card fills up after it records about 4 hours of video.
- This does not record audio at all.
This is an almost perfect hidden camera. It looks and functions like a normal photo frame. The picture is clear and the motion detection works well. The night vision still looks great. However, not being unable to access the video feed at all remotely may be less than ideal.
This camera looks like a large modern alarm clock. It records in 720p and has motion detection. It offers SD card recording but also connects to the Lizvie app so you can access the live feed if the camera is connected to Wi-Fi. It has one-way audio—you can talk from it via the app, but it will not record sound. It has good night vision as well. It has a battery that needs to be charged via an included a USB cord.
- Being able to view the live feed through the app, as well as speak through the camera, makes this a good indoor security camera. You can also use it to monitor your pets since you can tell them to get off the couch or out of the trash if you need to.
- The more expensive Pro version can also be used as a Bluetooth speaker.
- Because of the design, you can leave it plugged in without it being conspicuous.
- This camera only records in black and white, which is increasingly uncommon. The picture is still good, but there is no color.
- It has no audio recording capability. This is actually very common with indoor hidden video cameras, though very few also include the speaker so you can speak to anyone near the camera.
- While it looks like an alarm clock, it isn’t. It functions as a regular clock, but its primary function is as a security camera.
This is a pretty good hidden camera. It really isn’t noticeable and looks like a regular alarm clock. With its appearance, app, and speaker, it would be a very good choice for monitoring a dorm room. The fact that you can’t use it as an alarm is a knock on it since it looks so much like one. No audio recording makes this camera a decent, but not absolutely stellar, option.
This is a very small home security camera that plugs directly into your wall, where it will look like a charger, which is its other function. It connects to the HDMiniCam app through your Wi-Fi network. Unlike the other hidden cameras on this list, you can control up to 8 cameras with the app. The camera records in 1080p and can also record on a micro SD card. It can be set to record on motion detection and can also be set to record at certain times through the app. There is no audio recording.
- This is one of the few hidden security cameras you can set up as a network. This means you can cover almost every room in your house, as long as you have an electrical outlet to plug the camera into.
- The camera is very well hidden. You have to look very close to be able to tell what it is.
- Since these cameras also double as USB chargers, it means you don’t have to give up an outlet to use them.
- It would be great if you could buy packs of more than one. Setting up an indoor wireless security system with these hidden cameras can get bit pricey.
- They can be slow and difficult to connect to your Wi-Fi network at first.
If you’ve got some well-placed electrical outlets, these are the hidden security cameras for you. They are and look like ordinary USB chargers and can be linked together to get a good picture of your home. It would be nice if they sold packs of more than one since you can control up to 8.
This camera looks like a lightbulb. It records in 960p with a complete 360-degree picture. It has motion detection and night vision. All you have to do to install this camera is screw it into a light socket. It can be viewed through the Antavision mobile app and will also record on an SD card. Has two-way audio. It also functions as a light, though it’s not as bright as most real light bulbs.
- This is a security camera that looks and (to a degree) functions as a lightbulb. You can hear and talk through it. It’s like something out of a spy movie!
- Two-way audio and the 360-degree view make this a great nanny cam. You can use it to talk to anyone in the room very easily.
- This is a very easy to install camera. Plug it in, connect to wifi, download the app, and you’ve got it. No cords to worry about, even to charge it.
- This is a security camera that looks and (to a degree) functions as a lightbulb. If you want to use it, it needs to be able to see what’s going on. You might end up with a slightly odd looking bare light bulb or a light fixture that has a lightbulb sticking out of it. You may not like the look of it.
- The microphone can give off some annoying feedback.
This is a very cool hidden camera. It has some bugs and doesn’t always look great, but it is a great choice for a hidden security camera with its complete circle of a view, two-way audio, and ability to function as a light. Ease of installation and use means that even those of us who aren’t great at tech can use it without trouble.
This hidden security camera looks and is a sleek, stylish clock with LED side lights. It connects to an app, which you can also use to change the color of the side lights. The camera records in 1080p and has both motion detection and night vision. It also has two-way audio. Besides viewing the video feed through the app, you can also record video on a micro SD card. The battery will last up to 5 hours and is recharged using the included USB cord. It can display date, time, military time, and temperature. You can also set an alarm on it. It can be sat on a flat surface or hung up on a wall.
- This is a very modern looking, fully functional alarm clock. It’s actually very lightweight and compact, so you can use it in a variety of places. The LED lights are a fun touch.
- Two-way audio is always a bonus.
- It’s recommended you keep it plugged in so that the battery doesn’t run out all the time. 5 hours is not a short amount of time, but it is annoying to keep plugging it in every 5 hours to recharge the batteries.
- The shape and style may not fit with your décor.
If you’re looking for a modern looking hidden camera, this fits the bill. The camera is hidden very well and it looks like a regular clock with some LED light decorations. Since you can use it as an alarm, it makes for great way to monitor bedrooms or dorm rooms when you’re away. Two-way audio makes it a good option for a nanny cam, as well, though it will seem awkward a baby monitor in most nurseries just because of how it looks.
There are a lot of great hidden security cameras out there at a variety of price points and with many different features. When choosing a hidden camera, think about how you would hide it, where you want it to look, how it would look in your décor, and if there are any electrical outlets nearby. The extra functionality of a lot of hidden security cameras is a great bonus since you aren’t just giving space or electrical outlets over to something with one use.
Hidden security cameras can be a great fit for your DIY homes security system since they are much less likely to be spotted, stolen, or disabled. If a lightbulb suddenly starts yelling at a thief that it’s called the police, they’re probably not likely to stick around. They’re also great ways to monitor pets or children when you’re not at home.
Are there any other great hidden wireless security cameras out there? Let us know!