- It’s great to have a week’s worth of cloud storage without having to pay for security footage. If anything happens, you will easily be able to supply footage to the police.
- Having completely wireless outdoor cameras means that you can place these cameras in a variety of places.
- You can expand this system with other cameras. Depending on whether or not you want to subscribe to Arlo’s expanded service, you can end up with a very large wireless security camera system.
- The Arlo app has recently undergone some updates and has a really great user interface.
- These cameras are very easy for someone to steal. Arlo has put out a variety of accessories to help camouflage and secure these cameras (discussed further below), but that does cost extra.
- The cameras do not come with rechargeable batteries. They are another thing that Arlo sells that will cost a bit extra.
- Cold weather sometimes causes issues with battery life.
- Sometimes there is lag between the triggering of the motion detection and when the camera starts recording.
- It’s great to have two-way audio. You’ll be able to see and hear what’s going on outside your home, as well as alert anyone that you are watching.
- These have a nice range of wireless connectivity, extending about 100 feet out.
- The mounts are magnetic ball mounts that you can screw onto almost any surface. They’re very easy to install and can be angled however you like.
- A spare set of batteries would be very useful so you could have a fully charged set on hand when the other set is getting low.
- The motion detection delay and potential theft issues are a problem for these cameras just like they are for the Arlo Smart Security cameras.
- Cold weather can cause green stripes to block the field of view.
- A recent update allows you to subscribe to 24-hour surveillance. You’ll have to pay, but this was not an option previously available for Arlo wireless security cameras.
- Being able to set activity zones allows you to more effectively monitor your home.
- Some users have encountered issues where the camera will suddenly go offline and needs to have the batteries removed and replaced before it will start working again.
- You will only be able to access the activity zones feature if the camera is plugged in using the included power cables.
- It’s nice to finally have a wireless security camera you can use when traveling to keep yourself and your belongings secure.
- This camera has a decent battery life.
- Pay attention to where you get your Arlo Go, as that will determine who you can use for your data plan: AT&T, Verizon, or Netgear.
- The data plans for this camera are very limited.
- Does not work with Wi-Fi.
- These cameras last a very long time and will keep working well the whole time.
- The motion detection seems to be better with the Arlo Q than it is with other Arlo wireless security cameras. You will get alerts very promptly if the camera detects something.
- You can’t really integrate this with your other Arlo security cameras. It uses the same app, but it operates by different rules. The two systems will function separately. They’re just controlled by the same app.
- Brightness changes sometimes cause false alerts.
Arlo Home Security System Accessories
Charging and Solar
The Arlo security cameras are a solid option for your DIY home security system. The free cloud storage for all their wireless security camera systems (except for the Arlo Go) is a great perk that shouldn’t be overlooked. Being able to give the police footage of a home invasion or theft is a big help for investigation. The two-way audio options will also help secure your home. Arlo is only one option among many for a great wireless security camera system for home security. Take a look at other reviews we have on our website to see if you can find the perfect one for your DIY home security system.